Alina stood with her mother in the front of the shop as Magda came down the stairs. She began to idly straighten behind the counter. Alina turned to her sister. Alina's face was bright, with a smile that didn't reach her swollen, shining eyes.
"Are you coming? To say goodbye?"
Magda shifted and looked down. "No."
"No?"
"No. No! NO!" Magda was yelling now--almost screaming. And the shock on Alina's face, and on her mother's, did nothing to calm her. "He can GO! And I hope he never comes back!" Her face contorted, and she choked on a sob. She turned and ran--a brown-and-white blur flying up the stairs, slamming doors as she went.
Alina passed her hand over her face.
"I thought... I thought she would..."
Her mother placed a hand on her shoulder.
"It is possible that his leaving is as difficult for Magda as for you."
Alina sighed weakly. "She is losing a brother..."
Her mother raised an eyebrow and smiled impishly, forgetting, for a moment, her own pain. "Ah, yes. A brother." She stroked Alina's hair then. "I think we should not bring her down. I believe that this is her choice, to regret, or not. When you are ready then, daughter."
No comments:
Post a Comment